Graduate Programs in Psychology

The department has three graduate programs that lead to a Master's degree in Psychology: Academic ResearchCounseling and School Psychology.

The Academic Research MA Program has specializations in Neuroscience, Developmental Psychology, and Social/Cognitive Psychology.

The Counseling MA Program meets the academic requirements for the Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT) license.

The School Psychology MA Program meets requirements for recommendations to the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing for a Pupil Personnel Services Credential with an authorization to practice as a School Psychologist.

Facilities that support your academic work: 

  • Community Counseling Clinic
  • Psychology test library
  • Research & computer labs
  • Supervised fieldwork in the community

All applicants apply to the university through CalState Apply. Be sure to specify Humboldt State University and either the Academic ResearchCounseling, or School Psychology Program. Completed applications, with all materials received by February 1, will get priority consideration.  Applications received after February 1 will be considered in the order received. Initial admission decisions are made around April 1st.

Each applicant is required to submit official transcripts of all college-level work, from every institution attended, to the Office of Admissions. Additionally, each applicant is required to submit three letters of recommendation from university faculty, employers, or professionals who can discuss academic and professional potential. Letters of recommendation are completed online via CalState Apply.

Lastly, each program requires supplemental documentation:

  • Academic Research requires the Application Form Cover Sheet, Statement of Purpose, and Prerequisite Verification Form
  • Counseling requires Autobiographical Questions and a Prerequisite Verification Form
  • School Psychology requires Statement of Intent and Prerequisite Verification Form.

Contact Psychology Graduate Coordinator Kevin Colando with general questions about our programs.